Wednesday, September 12, 2007

SEO Expert knows When to Wait

There will be times where you make several changes simultaneously to a page on your site. Then, after Google crawls your page changes, there is a brief period where your site appears to rise or drop noticeably in rank. I notice it typically occurs within 48-72 hours of a spidering for fairly static sites (getting crawled by Google an average of every 15-30 days). If it rose up 2 or 3 slots, you may be celebrating prematurely, and if it dropped 3 or 4 slots you may start to panic.

My suggestion is - don't react and certainly do not make any changes to your page for at least 3-5 days. Only then, after a few days pass and your page again finds it natural spot on the page, should you react.

If it had dropped significantly, say more than 3 positions, it usually returns to about its normal ranking, if it rose quickly- the gain seems to be corrected.

Unfortunately, I usually like to be able to explain "Why did my page rank lower on Google today?" with some sort of glamorous mathematical hypothesis... and I suppose if I were an advanced mathematician I could put forth such an algorithm.

But suffice it to say, so long as you followed generally acceptable Google prinicples for SEO, just know that many SEO Experts have seen and documented this peculiar behavior in the ranking engine.

For those interested, here is Google's official stance on SEO.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35291


Joe is a self proclaimed SEO Expert in New York.

4 comments:

Bijendra Thakur said...

This was a great article

Unknown said...

Wow, great information. I could say my knowledge in seo is already broad but I find it nice to see people giving out tips and new information!!!!

Outsource Search Engine Optimization

manojhari said...

It was nice to see the best blog with all seo tips at one place.


Buy Google Plus Ones

ford said...

It is my honor and privileged to found and read your post. It made me learn a lot of different ideas.

web design philippines